2018-2019 SAT and ACT dates have been posted.
See the SAT & ACT Dates section to the right.
For the Class of 2019
The POSSE Foundation Scholarship is a full-tuition scholarship to attend one of its partner schools. STUDENTS MUST BE NOMINATED FOR SCHOLARSHIP CONSIDERATION.
Posse Houston's Partner Colleges and Universities:
Bryn Mawr College - http://www.brynmawr.edu
Carleton College - http://www.carleton.edu
Colby College - http://colby.edu
Texas A&M University - http://www.tamu.edu
University of Virginia - http://www.virginia.edu
Wellesley College - http://www.wellesley.edu
- Must be a graduating senior in the Fall of 2018
- Demonstrate extraordinary leadership within their high school, community, or family.
- Excel academically. Although there is no GPA requirement, only nominees who have consistently progressed toward academic excellence will be awarded a POSSE Scholarship.
- Nominees should take the SAT/ACT no later than September of their senior year.
Things to consider before requesting nomination:
- If your name is submitted for nomination, you must complete an online application and attend the large group interview on a date to be determined (usually mid-September). Attendance at this interview is mandatory for scholarship consideration.
- Through the Posse interview process, students could be offered a scholarship to any one of the 7 partner schools. Nominees must be open to attending any of the 7 college options.
- YOU MUST BE WILLING TO COMPLETE THE POSSE SELECTION PROCESS WHICH INCLUDES THREE INTERVIEWS. Posse uses a Dynamic Assessment Process (DAP) for selecting scholarship candidates. DAP is Posse’s innovative approach to identifying exceptional students through non-traditional forums. There are three phases: 1) a large group interview with approximately 100 students. Posse staff will lead students in a series of interactive small-group workshops; 2) a 20-minute, one-on-one interview with Posse staff; and 3) a final, small group interview, with 20 to 25 students.
- MUST BE ABLE TO ATTEND PRE-COLLEGIATE TRAINING - From January to August of their senior year in high school, Posse Scholars meet weekly with staff trainers and their Posse peers for two-hour workshops.
WHAT IS POSSE LOOKING FOR? Posse is looking for individuals who have demonstrated leadership ability, communication and team building skills. High school GPA and SAT scores are considered but are not solely the basis for selection. Posse is looking for students who have the perseverance and drive to make it in a highly competitive academic environment if given the support of a positive team of peers, a Posse.
FOR NOMINATION CONSIDERATION, PLEASE COMPLETE THE POSSE QUESTIONNAIRE AND RETURN IT TO COUGAR CORNER BY MAY 25TH.
Questionnaire is posted below all the following videos.
Bryn Mawr College
For more than 130 years, smart, strong women have come to Bryn Mawr College to seek an unparalleled education and meaningful opportunities to contribute to the world. That tradition continues and grows today. Bryn Mawr offers a university of academic opportunities in an intimate setting; a close, connected community that fosters lifelong connections; and the preparation women need to lead.
Ranked among the nation's best colleges, Carleton College is a small, private liberal arts college in the historic river town of Northfield, Minnesota
Colby College is a private liberal arts college in Waterville, Maine. Approximately 1,800 students from more than 60 countries are enrolled annually. The college offers 54 major fields of study and 30 minors.
Texas A&M University
Texas A&M University (Texas A&M or A&M) is a coeducational public research university in College Station, Texas, United States. It is a state university and since 1948 is a member of the Texas A&M University System. The Texas A&M system endowment is one of the 10 biggest in the nation. Texas A&M's student body is the largest in Texas and the second largest in the United States. Texas A&M's designation as a land, sea, and space grant institution–the only university in Texas to hold all three designations–reflects a range of research with ongoing projects funded by organizations such as the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), the National Institutes of Health, the National Science Foundation, and the Office of Naval Research. In 2001, Texas A&M was inducted as a member of the Association of American Universities. The school's students, alumni—over 450,000 strong—and sports teams are known as Aggies. The Texas A&M Aggies athletes compete in 18 varsity sports as a member of the Southeastern Conference.
University of Virginia
University of Virginia is a public institution that was founded in 1819. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 16,331, its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 1,682 acres. It utilizes a semester-based academic calendar. University of Virginia's ranking in the 2018 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 25. Its in-state tuition and fees are $16,146 (2017-18); out-of-state tuition and fees are $46,975 (2017-18).
Wellesley College, one of the most prestigious and highly respected institutions of higher education in the country and widely acknowledged as the nation's top college for women, provides its 2300 students with opportunities that prepare them to realize their own highest ambitions and compete in any setting.
Please complete and submit to Mrs. Nichols by May 25th for consideration.
(for upcoming seniors only - Class of 2019)
RECORDATORIO DE EVENTOS!
Mañana por la noche (martes 3 de abril) en el auditorio de THS a las 6 p.m.
Esperamos verlos allí!
Tomorrow night (Tuesday, April 3rd) in the THS Auditorium at 6 pm.
We look forward to seeing you there!
If you've not yet filed your FAFSA, now is the time to do so!
What you'll need:
The priority deadline for most schools was March 15th. It's not too late, make sure to file soon!
Looking for a summer job? YMCA is offering Life Guard Certification Courses!