What is the Posse Foundation?
Posse was founded in 1989 under the philosophy that a student wouldn’t drop out of college if they had their “posse” with them.
This philosophy formed the Posse Foundation which serves extraordinary academic students with leadership skills who may be potentially overlooked by the traditional college selection process. Posse helps their selected students to grow personally and academically in a supportive, multicultural team of 10 students.
Posse partners with colleges and universities which award Posse Scholars four-year, full-tuition leadership scholarships.
Posse Scholars are also a part of a Career Program that give the students the tools and opportunities needed to secure the most competitive and career-enhancing internships and jobs.
3 Core Components to the Career Program:
- Internship Program
- Career Services
- Alumni Network
Posse Houston College and University Partners
Bryn Mawr College
Texas A&M University
University of Virginia
- Located in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
- Undergraduate Population: 1,300
- Dedicated to high academic standards, women’s empowerment, and preparing students for leadership roles in a global community
- Located in Northfield Minnesota
- Undergraduate Population: 2,042
- Private, coeducational, residential liberal arts college offering 33 majors and more than 1,000 courses. Ten percent of the students are the first generation of their families to attend college.
- Located in Waterville, Maine
- Undergraduate Population: 1,820
- One of the country’s oldest independent liberal arts colleges. National leader in research and project-based undergraduate learning. One of the only four carbon-neutral colleges in the country. They offer small classes and close collaboration with professors.
Texas A&M University
- Located in College Station, Texas
- Undergraduate Population: 47,500
- Among the top public research universities in the country, rated second in the nation among public institutions at a great price. Best known for it’s Aggie spirit, rich traditions, core values, and culture of excellence.
- Only STEM majors offered to Posse
University of Virginia
- Located in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Undergraduate Population: 15,000
- Distinctive among the higher education institutions. Founded by Thomas Jefferson in 1819. Seven undergraduate schools, and students work with cutting edge research. The university sustains the ideal of developing, through education, civic-minded, ethical leaders who are well prepared to help shape the future of the nation and the world.
Steps to become a Posse Scholar
- Complete the Potential Posse Scholar Questionnaire (Click here for to apply)
- A THS committee will nominate 2 students to move forward into the Posse Scholar selection process. Posse Houston will take it from there.
- 3 rounds of interviews (nominees all complete 1st round, 2nd and 3rd rounds are by selection, and not all will make it)
- 1st - Group Interview/Activities
- 2nd - Formal interview with Posse Staff (need to specify which Posse partner colleges you like)
- Family Meeting between 2nd & 3rd interviews with selected students - students can say yes or no at this point
- 3rd - small group interviews with university partners (final selection then made by university partners)
- Selected Posse Scholars are placed at one of the 5 schools with a team of 10
- Posse Scholars then meet weekly (Jan - Aug) in the Posse Houston office
**Link below for fillable version of the Questionnaire or print and fill in the Questionnaire!
Overview of the Interview Process
1st Round Interview
August/September: 1st Round (large group) Interview. This will last on average a couple of hours and will involve a few activities – it’s just designed for us to see your students in a variety of settings and get to know them better! Their application to us (not to the college) will be due at this point.
2nd Round Interview
September/October: 2nd Round (individual) interview. This will be a short (half an hour) interview with the student and 1 or 2 Posse Staff members. We’ll ask basic interview questions, so students might be helped to prepare speaking about themselves and their experiences. We’ll also ask them to rank their college and university choices for this meeting.
3rd Round Interview
November/December: 3rd Round (final group) interview. Students will have been asked to join a finalist pool for a particular college, which will require them to submit an early decision application with us to that one school. We will also work with them on their Common Application or Apply Texas (whichever is applicable) for that school in November. In December, they will have a final group interview with all the finalists for that college, with college admissions staff in attendance. They will be notified of their status within a week.
If you are selected as a Posse Scholar, there will be a weekly Posse Scholar meeting from January to August with the Posse Houston Staff. (located in the Posse Houston office in downtown Houston)
Posse Scholars are fully supported in preparation for their college experience during their senior year, and as they prepare to head off to college.
If you’re interested, please complete the Potential Posse Scholar Nominee Questionnaire. (Link below)
DUE TUESDAY, May 21st by 3:00 pm to Mrs. Nichols in Cougar Corner
Check out the Posse Foundation Website!