TISD Service Cord Guidelines
Service Cord Guidelines
- Hours may be earned beginning as early as June 1st in the summer before freshman year.
- Students may not receive any form of payment or compensation for the service performed.
- Parents/Guardians may not verify hours.
- While many school clubs accept donations towards points or service hours for their organization, donations may not count toward service cord hours. (The only exception is blood drives.)
- Community service should be done primarily to benefit others in the community at large or a community based non-profit organization and should be something outside of the student’s normal course of action.
- The final approval of hours will be with the Service Cord Committee.
The following MAY NOT count toward service hours:
- Duties associated with an elected school office that should be carried out in the normal course of duty for that office or activities that will allow a student to earn a grade
- Internships or job shadowing
- Family obligations (babysitting, caring for other family members or friends)
- Duties performed in association with a student’s employment
- Tutoring a friend (study groups, proof-reading a friend’s paper, studying for an exam)
- Compulsory community service
The following are examples of activities that MAY count toward service hours:
- Volunteer duties associated with a church or other charitable/non-profit organization
- Boy Scout / Girl Scout service hours
- Highway clean-up
- Blood drives (including giving blood). We will allow 1 hour of community service for blood drive donations.
- Structured, supervised tutoring (such as tutoring programs at school, adult education, literacy programs, citizenship programs)
- Service hours (not donations) honored by NHS, Student Council, Key Club, Inter-Act, or other service club on campus
3 Step Process
Log into your HAC account, and click on the TISD Student Link at the top of the screen (TISD UPDATING THIS PRIOR TO THE START OF SCHOOL - If you do not see this, please keep checking back.)
1 - Entering Hours
If you have several hours from one group or organization, please consider inputting these as ONE entry per semester/per year. You can use a log like the samples at the bottom of this page, get signatures per date/event, then upload the log.
In the description, enter the date range and total number of hours.
Habitat for Humanity - helped build homes for low income families. 11/15/2014 - 1/1/2015 (30 hours)
2 - Verification of Hours
Verification by email
Students may enter the email address of their sponsor/verifier. An email will be generated prompting the sponsor/verifier to verify the hours electronically. Verifiers have the ability to edit the number of hours verified. Once verified electronically, hours can be approved/denied/partially approved by the Service Cord Committee. Note: this method is unreliable due to email firewalls. Sometimes verifiers have to retrieve these emails from their junk mail.
It is the student's responsibility to follow up with sponsors for verification via email.
Verification by uploaded document
Hours may also be verified by uploading a signed letter, certificate, or form (see below) in the TISD Student Link. The Service Cord Committee will review the uploaded document to make sure it meets all requirements and then approve/deny/partially approve hours depending on what is submitted.
THS staff are not responsible for calling to verify hours. All hours must be verified electronically by the sponsor/verifier or with an uploaded form/log
3 - Approval of Hours
Verified hours will be approved as long as all the required information is entered and the hours fall within the community service guidelines described above. Approval of hours is done periodically by THS staff - it is not instantaneous. Please allow a few weeks for this process.
Community Service Hours Deadlines
Submit 30 hours per school year for verification and approval. Please enter your hours in the same school year that you complete the activity.
By January 1st of the senior year - must have 100 hours entered AND verified in x2VOL
By March 1st of the senior year - must have the remaining 20 hours entered AND verified in x2VOL
By April 1st of the senior year - All hours will be reviewed for final approval
Students who have satisfied all the requirements for the cord will receive notice by mid-April of the senior year. Cords will be announced and distributed during the Senior Award Ceremony.