Welcome to English 1!
I am so excited about this coming school year! This is my second year teaching at Tomball High School. This year, we are striving to grow our students as proficient readers and writers. There will be heavy emphasis on spending intentional time reading student chosen books.
If for any reason you need to reach me, please feel free to use either of the following:
281-357-3220, ext. 2327
My conference period is from 1:50-2:35.
Due to our new advisory schedule that will be rolling out this year, if any student needs tutorials or extra help, the advisory block after 5th period is the best time to do so. Any after or before school tutorials can be scheduled as needed.
TOMBALL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
TOMBALL HIGH SCHOOL
Course Objectives: Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
- Writing/purposes. The student writes in a variety of forms, including business, literary and persuasive texts, various audiences and purposes.
- Writing/writing process. The student uses recursive writing processes when appropriate.
- Writing/grammar/usage/conventions/spelling. The student relies increasingly on the conventions and mechanics of written English, including the rules of usage and grammar, to write clearly and effectively.
- Reading/word identification/vocabulary development. The student uses a variety of strategies to read unfamiliar words and to build vocabulary.
- Reading/comprehension. The student comprehends selections using a variety of strategies.
- Reading/variety of texts. The student reads extensively and intensively for different purposes and in varied sources, including world literature.
- Listening/speaking/. The student speaks clearly and effectively for a variety of purposes.
- Listening/speaking/literary interpretations. The student prepares, organizes, and presents literary interpretations.
- Viewing/representing/analysis. The student analyzes and critiques the significance of visual representations.
Course Content Includes:
Holt McDougal Literature Grade 9
Various novels of choice
Holt McDougal Literature Grade 9. Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company, 2010.
Please send your students with:
- Either a 3 subject notebook or a 1 inch binder with filler paper and tabs (please choose whichever your student would prefer to use/maintain)
- One pack of sticky notes
In my classroom, I expect respect and honesty. Students are to come prepared and with a good attitude ready to learn. I will be honest and respectful towards students and believe that a great classroom can be had when that becomes mutual. I look forward to a great year!