Welcome to MAPS/ESL!
This my first year at Tomball High School, and I am extremely excited to be a THS Cougar! My goal for this year is to create and promote confidence and ability when interacting with the English language in any capacity!
If for any reason you need to reach me, please feel free to use either of the following:
281-357-3220, ext. 2331
My conference period is from 1:50-2:35.
I hold tutorials every Tuesday and Thursday after school from 2:40-3:15.
TOMBALL INDEPENDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT
TOMBALL HIGH SCHOOL
MAPS I & II
Course Objectives: Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS) and English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS)
- Writing/grammar/usage/conventions/spelling. The student relies increasingly on the conventions and mechanics of written English, including the rules of usage and grammar, to write clearly and effectively.
- Reading/word identification/vocabulary development. The student uses a variety of strategies to read unfamiliar words and to build vocabulary.
- Reading/comprehension. The student comprehends selections using a variety of strategies.
- Reading/variety of texts. The student reads extensively and intensively for different purposes and in varied sources.
- Listening/speaking/. The student speaks clearly and effectively for a variety of purposes.
- Viewing/representing/analysis. The student analyzes and critiques the significance of visual representations.
- Learning Strategies. Internalize new basic and academic language by using and reusing it in meaningful ways in speaking and writing activities that build concept and language attainment.
- Listening. Demonstrate listening comprehension of increasingly complex spoken English.
- Speaking. Respond orally to information presented in a wide variety of media and reinforce concept and language attainment.
- Reading. Read silently with increasing ease and comprehension for longer periods.
- Writing. Narrate, describe, and explain with increasing specificity and detail as more English is acquired.
In my classroom, I expect respect and honesty. Students are to come prepared and with a good attitude ready to learn. I will be honest and respectful towards students and believe that a great classroom can be had when that becomes mutual. I look forward to a great year!